Being friendly (Happy Hippie), diet and exercise are more important than DNA according to a life-extension spin-off from Google and Ancestry. The study of 400 million participant’s Family tree shows genetics has minimal influence on longevity. Only about 15% to 30% of longevity is passed through DNA , which is a much lower number than most have expected. Picking a partner with similar traits will also increase the longevity of both partners. Much like DNA, these traits are passed on through generations. After reading this report, all I can think is being a Happy Hippie and passing the love to your partner and children will only help you and future generations of your family.
Want to live longer? The study shows people do these tend to live longer:
- 30 minutes minimum of cardio exercise per day
- Keep alcohol down to a maximum of 1-2 per day.
- Maintain a healthy body weight
- Eat a Mediterranean diet (see great recipes here: BoredMom.com)
- Never smoke
- Pick the right partner
- Be a friendly HappyHippie Reader (this one we added)
The study presented Nov 2018 by Genetics Society of America http://www.genetics.org/